The Coda: Learning Project Wrap-Up


As quickly as it started, my ukulele learning project has now come to an end! These past few weeks have not only allowed me to learn several new songs and techniques for the ukulele, but they have also introduced me to many digital learning sources and taught me about myself as a learner. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 1: Uke Can Do It!

This week, I reviewed my background knowledge before beginning the learning journey,  and showcased my current skills by playing I Lava You

My goals that I established in week one were to improve my strumming technique, improve my chord transitions, learn how to fingerpick, and to learn 3 new songs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 2: Stand By Me

This week, I worked on my strumming technique, learned a new strumming pattern, and learned the song Stand By Me using Cynthia Lin Music's channel on YouTube.

I was able to vastly improve my strumming technique and chord transitions and to learn one new song and one new chord (Am). 

I also added some new goals of learning more chords and how to play a scale on ukulele.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 3: Tides and Scales (But Not in the Ocean

In week 3, I tried TikTok as a learning platform. I learned Riptide using a video by Gabrielle Johnson Music, then moved over to YouTube to learn a C major scale using a Marco Cirillo Ukulele video. 

I completed several learning goals by trying a new learning platform, learning a new song and a new strumming technique, and playing a scale this week. I also found that learning from TikTok has both pros, such as avoiding pre-amble or unnecessary information, but also cons, like being too quick to follow along with and not as easy to pause and skip through as YouTube. I decided that while TikTok has some advantages, I prefer learning from YouTube.

My goals for the following week were to try a new learning platform, some plucking, and to learn a few more chords. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 4: WeVideo and ILearnUkulele

My learning project took a slightly different direction this week, as we were challenged to focus on demonstrating our progress using a new online tool or app. Therefore, my ukulele learning was less of a focus while I created a video using WeVideo

I did learn a new chord progression with a few new chords (Dm, Bb), but the majority of my learning centred around video creation, using both WeVideo and Screencastify

Besides the goal of learning some new chords, my other goals from Week 3 carried over due to the difference in focus this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 5: Let's Get Together and Feel Alright

For week 5, I tried a website or blog as a learning resource. I learned a new strumming pattern and the song One Love using an article by Rodrigo Sanchez on the Roadie Music website.

This allowed me to use a new learning platform and to learn a new song with which I could sing along, helping me check a few goals off the list. I did note that it was difficult to learn ukulele using only written directions, and again found myself gravitating towards YouTube videos when learning.

My goals for the final week were to try a dedicated music learning app and to learn plucking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Week 6: Yousician, Isician, Wesician, Musician

In the final week of my learning project, I tried the music learning app Yousician. I explored the numerous skill videos and practice songs before learning Happy Birthday, another song where I can sing along!

Yousician had several pros, like a tuning feature, informative videos that are easy to follow, practice sessions that are easy to loop, accessibility features and competition possibilities. However, I also it to be very difficult to get set up, a bit tricky to navigate on mobile, not always accurate when assessing my playing through my microphone, and very expensive. 

I also tried some plucking using the app, but I am still very much a beginner - that is something for me to continue working on in the future!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was a quick summary of the past six weeks, but please click the titles for more in-depth overviews of my learning experience each week! 

Final Summary of Learning

Main goals achieved:

- Learned 3 new chords, 1 scale, and 4 songs 

- Improved my chord transitions and strumming technique

- Began learning plucking skills


Learning platforms used:

- YouTube

- TikTok

- Roadie Music website

- Yousician 


Video editing and posting websites learned:

- YouTube

- WeVideo

- Screencastify


Takeaways:

- I would recommend a learning app like Yousician if you are really committed to improving. There is a ton of content and great teaching videos all in one place, so you can access tons of material from the app.

- My favourite learning platform was YouTube because it is free, I can see how to play certain chords and listen to the rhythms, it allows for easy replays of tricky sections, and it helps me go at my own pace. My least favourite was probably the website, because I found it almost impossible to learn a strumming pattern without hearing it because I learn music best by listening.

- Blogging and sharing online helps keep me accountable. Using a PLN or other digital community when learning a new skill online is essential. I was able to get tips and encouragement from my peers and ukulele experts online throughout this journey and I recognize the benefits of making these connections for future digital learning projects I may pursue. 

Providing some entertainment value to my classmates!


Connecting with a ukulele professional when posting about my journey on Twitter.



Thanks again for following along with my ukulele learning project! I have definitely learned a lot about online learning, digital sharing, and myself as a learner, alongside what I've obviously learned about ukulele! I hope you've been inspired to pick up a ukulele sometime, too! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*COMMENT TIP*: When you're typing a comment, look just above your comment to where it says "Comment as". If "Anonymous" is selected, you can click the word "Anonymous" and change it to your Google Account or your name and website URL. If you have issues signing into Google or entering your name and URL for some reason and have to comment as Anonymous, please sign your name at the bottom of your comment - I'd love to know who is commenting! Thanks! :)



Comments

  1. I think you have done such a great job on your learning project! Do you plan on incorporating the ukulele in your teaching? I feel like this could be super fun in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Taylor! I can definitely see myself incorporating ukulele in my future classroom. I learned Happy Birthday because I think it would be an extra-special celebration for primary students, and ukulele would be great in Music classes or as a transition signal in any class. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily, I'm glad that you have done a great job, I'm sure that you are able to achieve your goals. I learned a lot from you during this course. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rami! I hope you also made good progress on your learning project goals, and I'm sure you did! Good luck to you as you finish your degree, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts