Networked Learning in EDTC 300


This class has not only helped me expand my understanding of educational technology, but has also helped me to understand the importance of a personal learning network and how to build one digitally.

Below is a collection of example blog comments, Tweets, and Discord interactions that I have posted during this class to help contribute to the learning of my peers and other educators.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Comments

I enjoyed keeping up with my classmates' Learning Projects and general EDTC 300 blog posts throughout the past couple months. I was able to contribute to their learning by including in my comments some resource recommendations, questions or answers for questions in the blog post, and tips from my previous experience alongside general feedback and support. Some examples of each of these categories are below. 


Recommending resources



 


Asking/answering questions with classmate responses






Experience tips and general feedback and support













~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twitter

I have also been an active participant on Twitter, sharing useful resources, engaging regularly with classmates, and connecting with other educators throughout the course. 

I started my professional account prior to this class, but had only Tweeted 5 times and gained very few followers. Unfortunately, I did not document my followers before the class began to note the growth, however, my photo for our Twitter blog post that I posted on May 17, after completing our in-class #SaskEdChat and being followed by EDTC classmates shows that I had 56 followers. As of June 20, I have 76 followers. I have therefore expanded my online PLN by 20 members in just over a month through consistent tweeting, connecting with educators and education technology organizations, and participating independently in a second #SaskEdChat. 

Hashtags that I have used to help grow my PLN, besides our class hashtag, include #edtech, #edutwitter, #PLN, #MusicTechnology,  #MusicEducation, #LessonPlanning, #MicrosoftTeams, #CreativeWriting, #ChromeMusicLab, #EarthDay, #PrideMonth, #ASL, and #OccupationalTherapy. 

Since beginning this class, I have Tweeted over 135 times and have therefore chosen a few example Tweets to include below (click the links to read the Tweets mentioned), but more can be found on my Twitter account

Sharing resources 

I shared many helpful resources from a variety of subjects and educational topics throughout the course. These topics included ideas and tips for the classroom alongside recommended strategies and resources. For instance, I shared ideas for virtual field trips, sensory and movement strategies, creative writing prompts, Wikipedia-themed research assignments, and music education resources. I also shared tips for teaching self-regulation, searching for information on Google and using Google technology, teaching students to create strong passwords, and using Canva as an educator. I also recommended many resources including Reconciliation and 2SLGBTQ+ books, inclusive music technology for students with disabilities, online courses about teaching digital safety, and educational websites and apps like Duolingo, twinklChrome Music Lab, CoolMath4Kids, KidsHealth.Org, and Chrome extensions. I also shared a specific Kahoot that I created as a review for Grade 3 science, for others to use as inspiration or in the classroom. Other classmates and educators often replied to continue our conversations about these resources.

I also shared some articles and speeches about education. These included articles on the importance of using educational technology, taking breaks for learning, teaching about online safety in regards to sextortion, and having Personal Learning Networks, as well as the effect of the pandemic on music classes, a Saskatchewan program for teaching Cree syllabics using cryptography, an alternative to the SAMR model called the Rigor/Relevance Framework, and the current state of educational funding. I also shared a few of Shelley Moore's talks about inclusive education, including her TedTalk on presuming competence, and her blog that was mentioned in the keynote speech we viewed during an asynchronous class. 

Asking Questions

One helpful way to start conversations and connect with other educators on Twitter was through asking questions. Asking for recommendations or feedback allowed me to connect with teachers who could share practical classroom uses for resources like Google Slides and WeVideo.




I was also able to help others contribute to our collective knowledge by asking for tech help on Twitter when my YouTube videos started looking overexposed.


Connecting with Educational Technology Organizations

Tweeting about some of the resources I discovered also allowed me to connect with employees from  educational technology companies. Below are some DM discussions I had with the Director at WeVideo for Schools and a response I received from the official Soundbeam Twitter account.

Participation in #SaskEdChat

I participated in two #SaskEdChat conversations: "Student Voice and Choice" on May 12 and "You Matter" on June 16. I connected with many educators within and outside of Saskatchewan during these chats, had some productive conversations and some fun ones, and was able to be reflective about my experiences and beliefs as a preservice educator. I can see myself continuing to take part in these Twitter chats in my future career.






Conversing with Classmates

I was also able to contribute to my classmates' learning through joining the conversation when they  shared resources. Sometimes it led to productive knowledge sharing and other times to camaraderie building - both equally important aspects of building an online community!





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discord/General Contributions



I shared a Twitter tip with my classmates early on in the class, when I discovered how to make Tweets look a little nicer by excluding the link when a preview is available.

After connecting with two classmates to form a group of three for the cyber-sleuthing activity, I helped organize our plans.



Other ways I contributed to the learning of others was through my own blog posts and my willingness to participate regularly in class.

In my blog posts, I shared my thoughts and ideas around using Twitter to expand my PLN and take part in my first SaskEdChat, the importance of Digital Citizenship and Digital Identity, and ways to teach Digital Literacy. I also undertook a month-long self-guided online learning project, where I taught myself to play ukulele using multiple different digital platforms. Sharing my knowledge on my blog and connecting with my classmates who commented was helpful for my learning journey and kept me motivated to improve.

Lastly, I contributed regularly during class discussions and activities both in small breakout groups and in whole-class scenarios. I was able to share my own knowledge and experience and to connect with others sharing their own to further our collective knowledge as a group. 

Ultimately, through participating regularly in all aspects of this course, I have been able to contribute to the learning of others and to learn from others' contributions in my learning journey towards becoming a digital educator.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


*COMMENT TIP*: When you're typing a comment, look just above your comment to where it says "Comment as". If "Anonymous" is selected, you can click the word "Anonymous" and change it to your Google Account or your name and website URL. If you have issues signing into Google or entering your name and URL for some reason and have to comment as Anonymous, please sign your name at the bottom of your comment - I'd love to know who is commenting! Thanks! :)



Comments

Popular Posts